Re: [sw-dev] Mandating that pcrel_lo and pcrel_hi stay in the same section

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:16 PM James Clarke <jrtc27@debian.org> wrote:

> On 17 Apr 2019, at 19:16, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
> >
> > Ping fwding this in case it has not been seen widely. Is it listed in bugs.debuan.org yet?
>
> I don't see why we need a bug. As far as I'm aware, GNU ld already imposes this
> restriction, and neither GCC nor LLVM generate assembly that violates this.
> This is merely documenting it so that other implementations (in this case, the
> LLVM backend and LLD) have an official statement that they don't need to
> implement this, and can thus be simpler.

yes, jim wilson confirms:
 https://groups.google.com/a/groups.riscv.org/d/msg/sw-dev/CUQ4V7Xp35E/yHBj-XdZCwAJ

panic at potentially having to backport a patch to binutils over...
although it may be worthwhile having some form of check to ensure that
packages are vetted for enabling the option, on the off-chance that
the package maintainer is unaware of the danger.

l.