Kernel and d-i status update, u-boot for riscv64

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to provide a short update regarding some current
developments:

- Since a few days we have support for building regular riscv64
  kernel images and corresponding udebs in the Debian kernel git
  repository.  The resulting kernel-image package has been
  running rock-solid in qemu for about a week now.

- I've started adding riscv64 support to the Debian-Installer.
  The code isn't upstream yet as I still need to work on a number
  of points, but so far things are looking promising.

  There is of course still the general problem that debootstrap
  fails due to systemd and libffi only being available in
  unreleased, so d-i can't successfully finish the "installing
  the base system" phase.  For systemd this will hopefully be
  resolved soon thanks to Manuel's work, but for libffi we have
  to wait for a new upstream release and there is no indication
  when that will happen.

- There is ongoing work to add support for the qemu RISC-V "virt"
  board to u-boot, which brings us a big step nearer to having
  a "proper" bootloader inside a riscv64 VM.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der