Re: Pandora's Technology Box

> <quote who="Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton" date="Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at
08:58:00PM +0000">
> > also - i just wrote this:
> >
> > http://advogato.org/article/936.html
> >
> > which may be of interest to you - particularly in light of what you
> > say on the wiki and also i saw on the STS (i think) front page.
> Luke,
> This list is for discussion research of Debian. This has nothing to do
> with Debian and, as far as I can tell, research of any other sort.

it's incredibly relevant: it tells you _why_ your research is so
damn important.

debian is the most important (because it is uncontrolled) of the
free software distributions.

your research into debian allows people who use it and develop it
to guage the health of the project and themselves and their effectiveness.

people think that your project is "academic" - it's not.  you're some
of the most intelligent people around who, because of your background,
can _be_ the only people who can cope with the kinds of things that
need to be discussed, focussed on, explored and developed.

but there's nothing "academic" in that "pure vs applied" way about what
you're doing: you're doing *applied* research.

that's the "background" that i didn't mention because it is obvious
to me, and i apologise once again for assuming that what is obvious
to me is obvious to anyone else.