Re: How to deal with bug #984776 in tightvncserver

Hi Sven,

On  Di 16 Mär 2021 23:28:14 CET, Sven Geuer wrote:

Option 3
Upload a package version 1:1.3.10-3 based on 1:1.3.10-3~exp2 containing
the fix in addition, but also the heavy changes of the experimental
version. Although I consider 1:1.3.10-3~exp2 well tested by now I am
hesitant to upload it to Sid due to the freeze.

I have just reviewed the debian/experimental branch of the tightvnc salsa Git repo.

I personally tend to option 1. What do you think is the best way to go
forward?

My vote would be: prepare 1:1.3.10-3, but without the Makefile migration patch [1]. Make sure, everything builds with imake just fine. The Makefile shift might create some discussions with the release team when we try to get an ACK for the upload.

I'd like to handle the release team acknowledgement bug for the 1:1.3.10-3. We will do the RT communication before uploading this time (for minor patches or really important, not so invasive things, I normally upload before asking for acceptance).

Additionally, propose the Makefile migration as a patch upstream (if there is still an active upstream). If the patch won't find its way upstream, I suggest to convert the new Makefiles into a patch that applies on top of the upstream code tree (a patch which removes the Imakefile environment entirely, as well).

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else. Furthermore, please Cc: me in replies so I don't miss your follow-up post (I am not that kind of a regular mailing list reader).

Greets,
Mike

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/debian-remote-team/tightvnc/-/commit/cbe3e1d28464e3efb273a828053abd3350158a6c
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31