Re: Thoughts about vnc-java

Hi

Transitional is the safest approach but I can live with removing it.

/ Ola

Den fre 30 okt. 2020 21:19Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel@das-netzwerkteam.de> skrev:
Hi,

On  Fr 30 Okt 2020 21:03:45 CET, Sven Geuer wrote:

> Hello Ola, Mike and Team,
>
> Looking at the upstream source code and the tightvnc-java changelog
> vnc-java [1] is a predecessor of tightvnc-java [2]. The only major
> difference seems to be that vnc-java is the companion package of
> another server package, vncserver, instead of tighvncserver. vncserver
> in turn disappeared from Debian during 2010, if my findings are
> correct.
>
> The functionalities of vnc-java and tightvnc-java are the same, only
> the calls differ:
>
> /usr/bin/jvncviewer                           versus  /usr/bin/jtightvncviewer
> /usr/share/java/vncviewer.jar                 versus  /usr/share/java/tightvncviewer.jar
> /usr/share/vnc-java/vncviewer.jar             versus  /usr/share/tightvnc-java/VncViewer.jar
> CODE=vncviewer.class
> ARCHIVE=vncviewer.jar versus  CODE=tightvncviewer.VncViewer
> ARCHIVE=VncViewer.jar
>
> Would it make sense to convert vnc-java into a transitional package, to
> bring the still existing users (see popcon [3]) over to tightvnc-java?
>
> Or, as upstream is not available any more, ignore the upstream code and
> make it using tightvnc-java as its backend to do the real job?
>
> Or even make it a native Debian package using tightvnc-java as its
> backend to do the real job?
>
> Or, ...

How about simply removing vnc-java from Debian?

I wouldn't trust popcon that much here. Do you have any other evidence
that the package is really used by people (or by dependent packages).

Old and unmaintained code should be removed from Debian.

One could think about shipping a wrapper script named jvncviewer that
mimicks the command link syntax of the executable in vnc-java but
wraps around jtightvncviewer.

Except from that... Dump it, I'd say. (But that is just one single
opinion, maybe others have other thoughts on this).

Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31