Upcoming D-I Bookworm RC 3 and RC 4

Hi all,

Current status
==============

Some of you might have read bits and pieces here and there, but I
thought I'd share my plans a little more formally with some teams.

As anticipated, it seems the last bits from the release team on dda@ got
some attention, and we've been receiving many more installation reports
than previously. Some of those reports are directly actionable, and
various fixes are flowing in a bunch of components; some of them trigger
some kind of chain reaction, and might end up leading to fixes via a
point release instead.

Installation reports have been mostly positive, and I'm not aware of any
critical bug that would jeopardize the proposed timeline. \o/

For those who want to follow at home, I have a list of things I'm
tracking and that might be fixed or at least considered before 12.0.0;
nothing is mandatory in there!
  https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debian-installer/-/issues/1

Proposed plan
=============

I think it'd make sense to have at least 2 releases:
 - 1 around mid-May;
 - 1 around end of May.

The first one would bundle a bunch of the fixes or improvements being
worked on these days, making sure everything works as intended. The
second one would be an “everything is frozen, we upload d-i one last
time” release, which could include a few last-minute fixes or
improvements if required or desired.

This means we should be able to pick whatever linux kernel is in testing
for the first release, while the kernel team prepares the final linux
upload on their own accord, which we'll pick up with the second release.

Communication and dynamics between the installer and kernel teams are
well-established and give good results, see earlier discussion:
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2023/05/msg00031.html
  https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2023/05/msg00043.html

Salvatore had good questions about how to best handle possible critical
fixes (security or otherwise) during the last few days, and whether
bookworm-security would make sense if that happened. On the installer
side I'm happy to work with whatever ends up in testing (via unstable or
t-p-u), but we don't currently support building or running d-i against
security suites (the former is probably trivial, the latter might be
very tricky). I'm also not sure how going through security would factor
in when it's time to build final images (12.0.0). But maybe we can think
about it if and when we actually encounter such problems.

I'm happy to touch base with the release team again when we approach end
of May, to see what would be considered best for the (hopefully) final
d-i upload (and d-i-n-i, at least a dinstall afterward). It might make
sense not to wait too much before doing so, in case we end up having to
fix a package or two, and re-upload…

Regarding the final release, I'm happy to perform a final d-i upload if
some packages needed an update since RC 4… but hopefully the last build
can be reused without any changes.

Interactions with other teams
=============================

You might have noticed the `dak copy-installer` step that copies the
`installer-<arch>/` directories from unstable to testing is now
something that I can trigger on my own, which gives us some appreciated
flexibility: contrary to point releases that are planned and frozen in
advance, testing keeps evolving (less so with the freeze progressing)
and I couldn't really set fixed dates in advance so that various teams
would be on stand-by…

The other major team involved is debian-cd, and Steve and I usually come
up with a set of days where both of us are available, and image building
starts whenever the right bits have reached testing (the d-i package via
britney, the `installer-<arch>/` directories via dak).

I've been in the debian-cd group for a long while, but I've only been
taught a crash-course recently on how to operate a d-i release and I
should be able to operate one or two on my own.

[ In the context of debian-cd, I'm calling a “d-i release” one of the
“D-I $CODENAME Alpha|RC $N” releases; as opposed to initial stable
releases (e.g. 12.0.0) or point releases (e.g. 11.7.0), which involve
more work, lots of testers, the press team, etc. I wouldn't call myself
ready for those just yet… ]

This gives me a little more work but also some more flexibility as to
when RC 3 and RC 4 happen.

A side-effect, with regular d-i builds and live builds being started
together when building images for a d-i release, is that I'll have to
keep an eye on the live images as well. As mentioned to Jonathan earlier
this week, my focus has only ever been on d-i itself (which keeps me
busy already, and I'm not trying to wear yet another hat), and that
shouldn't change in the near future, but I'm more than happy to keep an
eye on debian-live needs, and wait for an extra package or an extra
commit in live-setup.git before starting building images for a d-i RC
(see things like #1035360 and #1035560).

I don't think I'll be actively polling debian-live for input though; I'm
more than happy to be told what is important (so that it can be tracked
via the Salsa issue mentioned above, or one of the “point release
variations”, see issues 2 and 3). I'm usually sharing progress towards a
d-i release on IRC on #debian-boot, before moving to #debian-cd. I know
at least Jonathan is present in both channels so we should be good; I'm
happy to consider alternatives if needed though.

Back to d-i, we have the release announcements going to dda@ and to the
website, and I'm autonomous on both counts as usual. For the final
release, I'll step back (even if d-i gets a final upload), and let you
folks organize the Bookworm announcement.

Conclusion

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, and to amend my plans
if you'd like some things to be done differently. Thanks for your time
and attention, that's quite a long mail… With the release approaching,
I thought it'd make sense to be as explicit as possible to make sure
everyone is on the same page.