Re: kind of special transition for luajit{,2}?

Hi Mo,

On 05-06-2022 05:28, M. Zhou wrote:
Please see deb-symbols(5), the symbols control file contains a
part supporting advanced usage that not all Debian developers know:

That was indeed a missing piece.

Then I rebuild it against with the above luajit commit pending
to upload:
sbuild --no-clean -c sid -d unstable love_11.3-1.dsc --extra-package ../luajit.pkg/
debc love_11.3-1_amd64.changes

  Package: love
  Version: 11.3-1
  Architecture: amd64
  Maintainer: Debian Games Team <pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
  Installed-Size: 4521
  Depends: libc6 (>= 2.33), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libgcc-s1 (>= 3.4), libluajit-5.1-2 | libluajit2-5.1-2 (>=
2.0.4+dfsg), libmodplug1 (>= 1:0.8.8.5), libmpg123-0 (>= 1.28.0), libogg0 (>= 1.1.4~dfsg), libopenal1 (>= 1.14),

But if this is really the result of the rebuild. I think we just discovered a serious flaw. The alternative dependency on libluajit-5.1-2 just lost its version constraint, as it's only added to libluajit2-5.1-2.

This is a super awesome feature of Debian dependency tree.

Yes, indeed.

Well, as I filed RC bugs against all reverse dependencies of src:luajit
to switch their (build-)dependency on ppc64el to lua, we'll be able to
do this shortly anyways.

Maybe less work is required given the possibility to change dependency
without modifying the code of reverse dependencies? :-)

To me (there are other Release Members more involved in transitions) this feels a bit like an "add supported version" like we do for e.g. Python and Ruby. Those are normally not interfering with other transitions as any rebuilt binary can just migrate (once src:luajit2 is in testing) on its own.

Please file the transition bug and I expect we can just proceed (assuming my colleagues don't object), and that version issue is investigated.

Paul