Re: delayed package removal from testing

Quoting Paul Gevers (2021-11-28 14:09:22)
> On 28-11-2021 11:41, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > I wonder why debian-parl was removed from testing today, since (as I
> > understand it) the reason for removal was solved 2 days ago.
>
> parl-desktop-eu in testing at the time of removal had a dependency on
> iitalian. It's iitalian that has an RC bug. The only way to remove
> iitalian from testing was to also remove reverse dependencies.

Ah, right - makes sense.

(silly me - what did I even expect should have happened instead?)

> > Is there perhaps some spell I could have thrown when uploading a
> > known close-to-deadline package?  E.g. the trick of posting
> > something to a bugreport to reset its timer?
>
> Pinging the RC bug that's causing the removal is indeed the way to
> delay the removal (mind you, there's some delay between updating a bug
> and the removal script being aware of the ping, so don't wait till the
> last moment). In this case slightly inappropriate as the bug is in
> another package, but we don't have anything better.

Right.  I was aware that the underlying issue was in iitalian.  I began
preparing an NMU but then realized that upstream project is dead since
years so maybe better to let the package die as well.  That's all why I
chose to not ping the bug.

Thanks again for the explanation.

 - Jonas