Re: Tentative summary of the AMD/ATI/NVidia issue

This may or may not be related.

I posted this bug back in October regarding the black screen on nvidia using the weekly build.

Points to note:
I mostly install "ssh" and "system tools" first, then reboot as a smoke test.  Then I rerun tasksel to install gnome.
My test failed with a black screen after the first reboot without gnome installed.
I could SSH into the box and everything else was working fine.

I have installed Buster successfully using multi-arch net-inst using 10.1 - 10.6.
I normally install gnome and other basic packages before I install the non-free nvidia.

What images/scenarios do you want me to test?

Downloading now ... debian-bullseye-DI-rc1-amd64-i386-netinst.iso

-Terry

From: Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
Hi,

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote (Fri, 23 Apr 2021 15:13:15 +0200):
> D-I Bullseye RC 1 was published a few hours ago. And at the risk of
> sounding like a broken record: I have *absolutely no guarantee* to
> have a fix or workaround for the amdgpu issue in less than a month,
> that would be tested somewhat.
>
> Can we please *not* release with black screens for AMD users?

Moreover, it's not just an AMD issue.
We got a confirmation just now on debian-boot, that also NVIDIA users can
get affected by this:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2021/04/msg00225.html
Some months ago, I have confirmed with that user, that missing firmware
is indeed the issue there!

From: "Rebecca N. Palmer" <rebecca_palmer@zoho.com>
Cyril Brulebois wrote:
getting my hands on relevant hardware is in progress
Note that https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2021/04/msg00247.html implies the affected hardware is _not_ simply "all AMD/ATI or NVidia hardware". Do we know of hardware that is reproducibly affected?