Re: careless upload of Erlang v24 without a transition tracking with the release team (was: rabbitmq-server fails to start after erlang v24 update)

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 07:14:16PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 8/22/21 6:14 PM, Sergei Golovan wrote:
> > I've uploaded Erlang 24 to experimental months ago. If you know that
> > your software breaks on Erlang upgrade, you could do something
> > already.
>
> Just uploading to Experimental isn't, IMO, a thing that makes it ok to
> break others unstable. For this, we have transitions... Also, an upload
> to Experimental during the freeze isn't giving me any sign.
> Instead, here, we received a bug report for a rabbitmq-server *user*
> that discovered, after the fact, that things broke. I'm sure we can do
> better than this!

One way for doing better that this would be to give rabbitmq-server
autopkgtest that run on erlang migrations.

A user seeing breakage in unstable is unfortunate, but it's called
"unstable" for a reason.

A rabbitmq-server autopkgtest would block migration of erlang to
testing, just like the elixir-lang autopkgtest is currently blocking
migration of erlang to testing - protecting users of testing from this
breakage.

Related to that, there are experimental->unstable pseudo-excuses [1]
that run autopkgtest similar to what is run for migrations to testing.
Due to the autopkgtest, the elixir-lang breakage was likely visible
there during the 5 months when erlang was in unstable.

> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

cu
Adrian