Re: careless upload of Erlang v24 without a transition tracking with the release team (was: rabbitmq-server fails to start after erlang v24 update)

Hi Damir, Sergei, the release team,

First of all, thanks for your bug report, Damir.

Debian Bullseye was released on the 14th of Aug. Then Erlang v24 was
uploaded on the 17th. Looking at:

https://release.debian.org/transitions/

I cannot see any transition thingy opened for Erlang. This means that
Erlang was carelessly uploaded to Unstable:

1/ Without informing the release team, and defining a schedule for the
Erlang transition

2/ Without rebuilding any reverse dependency, and more specifically,
without caring about RabbitMQ which is kind of a high profile server
application.

Now, we have Erlang v24 in Unstable which looks like a good target for
RabbitMQ 3.9.4, however, this new version needs a new Elixir release, as
it has a bound of ">= 1.10.4 and < 1.13.0". Elixir as in unstable (ie:
1.10.3) doesn't work, even when trying to convince RabbitMQ it's ok.

There isn't much I can do now. I'm opening a bug against Elixir, and
I'll have to wait for it to be solved...

This isn't the first time something like this happen. Could we please
bring some sanity in the way we do things? Sergei, could you please
revert your upload of Erlang v24 in Unstable, and open a release team
bug to get a transition tracker thingy, which is the only sane way to do
things in Debian?

Not amused...

Thomas Goirand (zigo)