Re: gavodachs2-server broken in unstable

Hi Markus,

This mail fell through the cracks because the sheer amount of traffic on
our list. Next time, please file a unblock report to discuss such
issues, as they stay on our radar (you can add "pre-approval" to the title).

On 18-03-2021 12:42, Markus Demleitner wrote:
> Fixing these requires something with a humonguos debdiff, which I've
> put up at https://docs.g-vo.org/dachs2.debdiff for now, as I'm really
> not sure if it's appropriate to attach this kind of thing to an
> unfreeze bug.

Attaching is OK, although it might not reach the mailing lists, so
pinging on the bug may be required.

> Is there any chance to get that into bullseye?

The debdiff is mostly big because you added pyparsing.py. Maybe you can
show where it comes from? I understand it is in buster. Are there any
known issues there? Is it identical? I'm also missing the copyright
statement about that file in d/copyright.

> You see, the package as it's in now really is basically useless for
> what people will want to do with it.

Why is this not reflected by the severity of the bugs?

> I've thought hard about the
> alternative, forward-porting to pyparsing 2.4, but that is a *major*
> undertaking; the grammars that are affected have hundreds of symbols,
> and I estimate about 200 non-trivial changes would be necessary to
> make things work.

I get you're also upstream?

> Getting this right on the first shot is
> certainly going to be hard; the pyparsing 2.2-based code, on the
> other hand, has matured over ~10 years (and a few previous pyparsing
> versions), so I'd *really* like to go carefully on this.
>
> Now, you can rightfully say "why didn't you properly configure the CI
> on salsa"?  Mea culpa.  But since you need to run a database server
> to enable meaningful tests, I've always relied on doing this in local
> containers.  Perhaps if I do penance and work things out for salsa CI
> (hint welcome) -- could that move your hearts to letting in the
> patch?

Within autopkgtest (with restriction "breaks-testbed") you can setup the
database to test against. If you need more help, you can always ask on
debian-ci@d.l.o or on #debci. If you have a non-trivial autopkgtest
(testing the installed binaries), you don't even need an unblock at this
moment.

Not saying I'd unblock this, but it's not hopeless.

Paul