Re: planning to upload binutils 2.35.2

On 1/27/21 9:47 PM, Paul Gevers wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> On 26-01-2021 18:57, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> I would like to upload binutils version 2.5.2-1 to unstable later this week. The
>> 2.25.2 release is announced for this weekend ([1]).  It imports fixes towards
>> the next stable version.
>>
>> The pending fixes in the package are:
>>
>>     * PR27218, memory access violation in dwarf2dbg.c
>>     * PR gas/27195, enable DWARF5 support when required
>>     * PR binutils/27231: Fix parsing DWARF-5 line number tables,
>>       DWARF-5: Ignore empty range in DWARF-5 line number tables
>>
>> All these changes also are in 2.36-1 as found in experimental.
>> No packaging changes are planned for the upload.
> In our freeze policy [1] we requested packages that are part of the
> (build-)essential set to stop uploading to unstable. binutils is listed
> there [2].

I have been following the way the linux source package was uploaded.  Apparently
the package entered unstable with just an announcement like this.  And more than
one time.

> """
> If you think changes are needed anyway, please coordinate with the
> release team before uploading to unstable. Consider staging changes in
> experimental.
> """
>
> So, can you please clarify why you think these changes are needed? What
> are the risks of including or not including these changes? How are the
> risks mitigated?

staging in experimental is not possible, unless you remove 2.36, or override it
bumping the epoch.

 - PR27218 is an obvious bug fix, avoiding a segfault.
 - DWARF5 is not enabled by default, the DWARF5 fixes are
   required for GCC 11 defaulting to use DWARF5. And no,
   I'm not planning to upload gcc-11 to unstable.

I'm very unhappy about the private decision making for some uploads, while
showing a pedantic attitude towards others.

Not so kind regards, Matthias