Re: planning to upload binutils 2.35.2

Hi Matthias,

On 26-01-2021 18:57, Matthias Klose wrote:
> I would like to upload binutils version 2.5.2-1 to unstable later this week. The
> 2.25.2 release is announced for this weekend ([1]).  It imports fixes towards
> the next stable version.
>
> The pending fixes in the package are:
>
>     * PR27218, memory access violation in dwarf2dbg.c
>     * PR gas/27195, enable DWARF5 support when required
>     * PR binutils/27231: Fix parsing DWARF-5 line number tables,
>       DWARF-5: Ignore empty range in DWARF-5 line number tables
>
> All these changes also are in 2.36-1 as found in experimental.
> No packaging changes are planned for the upload.
In our freeze policy [1] we requested packages that are part of the
(build-)essential set to stop uploading to unstable. binutils is listed
there [2].

"""
If you think changes are needed anyway, please coordinate with the
release team before uploading to unstable. Consider staging changes in
experimental.
"""

So, can you please clarify why you think these changes are needed? What
are the risks of including or not including these changes? How are the
risks mitigated?

Kind regards,
Paul

[1] https://release.debian.org/bullseye/freeze_policy.html#transition