Re: updating out-of-sync RC bugs on the day autoremoval would remove them

Dear Adrian,

I'm glad I sent my previous message...

On 11-04-2020 21:52, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 07:46:22PM +0200, Paul Gevers wrote:
>> I assume good faith

because of this. :)

>> , but there
>> are so many bugs updated this way that it doesn't look like coincidence.
>
> this is not coincidence, the first thing I am doing when I spend time
> on QA is always to check [1] which is for me a list of bugs ordered
> by priority.

Ack. I understand.

>> We do allow autoremoval to be delayed by updates to the bug, but that is
>> to give extra time if progress is being made but the bug isn't solved
>> yet. If there isn't any progress, we ask you to not delay the
>> autoremoval with these updates. Either do the updates much earlier, or
>> hold off until the autoremoval happened.
>
> Why is it a problem for you when a package stays 2 weeks longer
> in testing, 1 year before the next freeze?

It's not a problem. It's just I was watching that list closely as it's a
rather new thing, and I was surprised to see all packages bump their
autoremoval date. It looked so systematic that it seemed like you were
doing it on purpose.

> You can add a removal hint at any time if a removal is urgent for you.

Sure, but if a package has reverse dependencies, autoremovals take care
of that, while I need to figure it out.

> BTW: Please close the bugs when submitting them instead of just adding a
>      fixed version, otherwise the BTS will show them as open forever and
>      never archive them.

How do I do that? "close -1"?

Paul