Re: Bits from the Release Team: ride like the wind, Bullseye!

On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 02:47:00 +0100, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:

> There are too many people who should be thanked for their work on getting us to
> this point to list them all individually, and we would be sure to miss some.
> Nevertheless, we would like to particularly thank the installer team, the
> buildd and ftp teams, the CD team, the publicity team, the webmasters, the
> Release Notes editors, porters and all the bug squashers, NMUers, package
> maintainers and translators who have contributed to making buster a great
> release of which we should all be proud.

You indeed missed someone (for obvious reasons): I'd like to thank
the release team for their excellent work!

> The release of buster also means the bullseye release cycle is about to begin.
> From now on, we will no longer allow binaries uploaded by maintainers to
> migrate to testing. This means that you will need to do source-only uploads if
> you want them to reach bullseye.

That's great news.

>   Q: I needed to do a binary upload because my upload went to the NEW queue,
>      do I need to do a new (source-only) upload for it to reach bullseye?
>   A: Yes. We also suggest going through NEW in experimental instead of unstable
>      where possible, to avoid disruption in unstable.

But this part not so much.

Forcing hundreds of maintainers to do two uploads for a new package
seems to me like the wrong solution for the conflicting interests of
the ftp team (wants to see binary packages for review in NEW) and the
release team (doesn't want to see binary packages in testing not
built by buildds).

I hope that there will be a better solution for this dilemma in the
not too distant future. If throwing away binaries is too problematic,
as Niels mentioned, maybe SomeThing™ could build a binary package for
the ftp-masters for source-only uploads to NEW. Or people knowing the
whole infrastructure better than me have smarter ideas :)

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe