Re: How does the transition tracker for python3.7 progress?

Hi!

On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 05:20:59PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/python3.7.html
>
> At what point does a package listed as unknown get processed to
> determine if it is good or bad?

python3 transitions are annoyingly hard to track due to many case
corners.

Yesterday I failed at least 6 bugs against packages that were marked as
unknown due to the wrong build-depends line (IIRC you were amongst the
maintainers of those packages).

> What is the trigger for that process?

that's enterely manual, and the sad bit is that there aren't "notes" nor
anybody is going to manually exclude packages from the tracker.
Except people fixing their wrong build-depends (but that still leaves
cases of packages correctly build-depending on e.g. python3-all-)bg for
tests but still being arch:all and so creating a package with a depends
on only a possibly unversioned python3).

> How do arch:all packages affect the tracker?

like all other packages...  I don't understand your question.

> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/nuitka is marked as good but all of
> the other arch:all packages are unknown.

most of arch:all packages shouldn't appear in the tracker at all (and
indeed they don't).

> Equally, packages are listed as unknown with a highlight denoting
> "Dependencies" on another package. If that package is marked as good,
> why is the unknown package not checked?

What highlighting are you talking about?

> The package I care about most is at Dependency level 7 and has a
> highlight Dependencies: pyyaml which is in the good list. How do I
> identify what (if anything) I can do about this being listed as
> unknown? As far as I can tell, the package doesn't depend on any of the
> packages currently listed as bad (most of which are sid-only).

I assume you are talking about src:lava.

It's weird, I thought I had sent a bug to that, I wonder why I didn't...

At any rate, the issue is like this:
I must have messed up my list while running mass-bug....

> One of my packages is at Dependency level 1 and unknown but I can't
> tell if I have done anything wrong or how the package affects the
> transition.

I assume you are talking about src:black.
And indeed I did open a bug for that one yesterday:
(incidentally, the same bug I reported a few lines above :P)

At any rate, those false positives only cause noise in the tracker, they
aren't actually hindering the transition if not for people like you now
and me yesterday that wested their time looking at them.

Currently proper overview of the transition is blocked by src:python3.7
not migrating due to src:openssl blocking the world.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :