Re: Transition sane-backends

(Please CC me, I am not on debian-relase@l.d.o)

Hi Julien!

I am Joerg's sponsor and I accidentally uploaded sane-backends to
experimental because I forgot to pass "-d experimental" to sbuild
while using a sid chroot with --extra-repository=experimental. So
that premature upload was my mistake.

> Did the ABI actually change from the previous version?  If yes, why did
> the SONAME not change?  If not, then the package rename is wrong and
> needs to be reverted.

Joerg has actually discussed multiple hardware vendors who ship
precompiled Debian packages to accomodate this change. Ubuntu
has also incorporated the change and is already shipping the
experimental version of the package, although with an additional
patch to ease the transition.

Overall, Joerg has invested a lot of time and effort to fix the
missing SO version in the package name and most other people we
have discussed this with in Debian agreed with this change.

I therefore think it's safe to go ahead with this change and start
the transition and just fix the versioning of the package in unstable.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz