Re: Upload every package every release cycle

Lars Wirzenius:
> Should we require each source package in Debian to be uploaded at
> least once per release cycle?
>
> Lintian[0] reports that there are currently over 7000 packages with an
> ancient Standards-Version. That's a lot of packages. Some of those
> haven't been uploaded in years. That means that the packages haven't
> had attention by their maintainer (or an NMUer) in years. Sometimes
> that's OK: there's nothing that needs changing in the package, and
> upstream is dormant.
>
> However, it seems to me that without inspecting each package manually,
> we can't know if fixes are needed. It would seems to me that having an
> automated way of verifying that a package gets at least minimal
> attention would be good for Debian.
>
> I propose we implement that by requiring that each package gets
> uploaded at least once per release cycle, and that the upload updates
> the package to match current policy, indicated by updating the
> Standards-Version field to one that is not ancient.
>
> In more detail, I propose the following:
>
> * When the release freeze begins, every package in testing must have a
>   Standards-Version that is less than 24 months old (the threshold for
>   the ancient-standards-version warning in lintian), and will be
>   removed from testing.
>
> * Six months before the freeze, RC bugs get filed for any packages
>   that have the ancient-standards-version lintian warning. This would
>   leave ample time to fix the problem for any one package.
>
> [0]: https://lintian.debian.org/tags/ancient-standards-version.html

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the proposal.

I am not certain this is a proposal that should be driven by the release
team.  Given its wide-spread affect on how volunteers will have to
allocate their Debian time and how many packages it affect, I think it
should have consensus among the Debian developer body rather than just
the release team.  In particular, I am concerned that a significant
amount of people will oppose this as a QA check worthy of gating
packaging from the release.

Along those lines, it might be interesting to start off less ambitious
and limit it to several releases out of date.  I have pulled the numbers
grouped by the date of the policy used in [1].  Note these numbers are
from unstable + experimental; we do not have the numbers from testing
(as lintian only check unstable + experimental).

Thanks,
~Niels

[1]

$ grep ancient-standards /srv/lintian.debian.org/logs/lintian.log | \
   perl -p -E 's/.*\(released (\d+-\d+-\d+)\).*/$1/' | sort  | uniq -c
      1 1999-07-15
      2 1999-11-16
      3 2000-08-24
      1 2001-01-29