Upload every package every release cycle

Should we require each source package in Debian to be uploaded at
least once per release cycle?

Lintian[0] reports that there are currently over 7000 packages with an
ancient Standards-Version. That's a lot of packages. Some of those
haven't been uploaded in years. That means that the packages haven't
had attention by their maintainer (or an NMUer) in years. Sometimes
that's OK: there's nothing that needs changing in the package, and
upstream is dormant.

However, it seems to me that without inspecting each package manually,
we can't know if fixes are needed. It would seems to me that having an
automated way of verifying that a package gets at least minimal
attention would be good for Debian.

I propose we implement that by requiring that each package gets
uploaded at least once per release cycle, and that the upload updates
the package to match current policy, indicated by updating the
Standards-Version field to one that is not ancient.

In more detail, I propose the following:

* When the release freeze begins, every package in testing must have a
  Standards-Version that is less than 24 months old (the threshold for
  the ancient-standards-version warning in lintian), and will be
  removed from testing.

* Six months before the freeze, RC bugs get filed for any packages
  that have the ancient-standards-version lintian warning. This would
  leave ample time to fix the problem for any one package.

[0]: https://lintian.debian.org/tags/ancient-standards-version.html

--
I want to build worthwhile things that might last. --joeyh