Re: Your dnsmasq upload to stable

On Wed, 2018-06-27 at 22:45 +0100, Simon Kelley wrote:

> On 27/06/18 22:31, Simon Kelley wrote:
[...]
> > The bug was reopened for stable and oldstable a couple of days ago
> > and
> > marked critical because a new version of dns-root-data has made the
> > same
> > format change in those distros.

As I've since commented in that bug, this is incorrect. There was no
change to the dns-root-data package in stable since October.

I also don't understand what rationale is being used to justify the
severity of the bug.

> > Looking at stable packages, this update may have happened:
> > 2017072601~deb8u2 has the broken format, but 2017072601~deb9u1
> > corrects it.
[...]
> > This was also reported in a new bug, 902341, which explicitly
> references
> dns-root-data version 2017072601~deb8u2 in jessie

2017072601~deb9u1 is the current version of dns-root-data in stretch,
and has been since the 9.2 point release nearly 9 months ago.

As for jessie, it is no longer managed by the Release Team, so if you
wish to update dnsmasq there you'll need to talk to the LTS team.

Based on the above, is there any actual requirement for the dnsmasq
update in stretch?

Regards,

Adam