Re: Uploading linux (4.9.2-1)

On Tue, 2017-01-10 at 18:05 +0000, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 05:04:50PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > I intend to upload linux version 4.9.2-1 to unstable tomorrow
> > (Wednesday).  As this is a new upstream version, there is of course an
> > ABI bump.
>
> Hi.
>
> (Sorry if this is already reported, last time I looked at the bug page it was not)
>
> Is there any chance to remove the leading .0 from the binary package names?
>
> I know it's mostly harmless, but it's misleading anyway to have linux-image-4.8.0-2-amd64
> to really contain 4.8.11 and not 4.8.0, and if it's done for compatibility reasons,
> we have done it for a lot of time already for tools to adapt.

The package names need to match kernel release strings:

- reportbug maps 'kernel' to linux-image-$(uname -r) and this must be
  a real, not virtual package
- module-assistant can auto-install linux-headers-$(uname -r) when
  building for the current kernel release

And kernel release strings with only 2 dotted components may break
software in subtle or severe ways that are hard to diagnose.  The
previous time we tried this, we got #742226 and #745984.

If we change this again it will be at the start of a release cycle, not
the end.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Make three consecutive correct guesses and you will be considered an