[Decision] Kernel version for stretch

Hi,

On the Release Team's IRC meeting today we concluded the following[1]:

 * We expect to release Stretch with the LTS release based on Linux 4.10
 * We intend to delay the freeze (all milestone dates) by 2 months to
   accommodate the above.
   - Note that the expected release date of Linux 4.10 will then fall
     between the "new" freeze and the "deep" freeze.
 * The linux 4.10 release will be entitled to a freeze exception if it
   misses "deep freeze" by 5th of Feb.
   - This exception only applies to linux.
 * We would like to encourage the Linux kernel maintainers to upload
   release candidates of Linux 4.10 in sid.
   - The sooner we can spot regressions/problems in reverse
     dependencies, the better.

This decision is based on assumptions about the current release schedule
of the Linux kernel.  Should the expected release date for the LTS
change considerably, we may have to revise the decision.

This mail is intended as a heads up to the parties involved (and not as
a replacement of the official announcement).  We will include it in our
upcoming "bits from the release team", which is due soon.

Thanks,
~Niels

[1]
http://meetbot.debian.net/debian-release/2016/debian-release.2016-02-24-18.59.html