Re: transition: bullet 2.83.6

> I intend to rename the binary packages from
>
> xxx2.83v5 to
> xxx2.83v6

IMHO, xxx2.83.6 would be more intuitive.

Also given this versioning scheme, upstreams next soversion will likely
be 2.84, making a Debian-local soversion change from 2.83 to 2.83.6
would be another option. That should also work without B+R.

> and extend the current Breaks and Replaces fields and add the old v5
> binary packages too.
>
> Is there a better solution and is Conflicts strictly needed?

I think B+R is sufficient and preferable over Conflicts.

Andreas