Re: Debian 7 Update 7.8: Regression regarding gnome and lid close action on notebooks?

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 01:43:55AM +0100, georg@riseup.net wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm not really sure if my assumptions are true, because checking the
>updated package lists in the recently announced didn't reveal any gnome
>packages.
>
>However, a friend of mine is encoutering the following problem since
>some days; I think, it started after I installed the updates get the
>system to 7.8.
>
>She's using gnome with fallback-session. Normally, if she closed the
>lid of her notebook, the system was going to suspend, after reopening
>the lid the system would come back.
>
>Now the following occurs: After closing the lid it seems, that the
>system shuts down or is going into hibernate, because after opening the
>lid again the notebook does what seems a cold boot, starting grub etc.
>Hibernate can't work, because the disk is fully encrypted, only /boot is
>available on a plain partition.
>
>In gnome-tweak-tool the action for closing the lid is set to "Suspend".
>
>Any idea what's going wrong here?
>Any idea how to debug this further or whom to ask?

You've most likely been bitten by http://bugs.debian.org/774436 I'm
afraid - a kernel bug that crept into the 7.8 release. Fixed packages
are already available for download.

  Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,
  Honor, Integrity and Loyalty. Now you don't have to be a Caesar to
  concord the digital world while feeling safe and proud.