Debian 7 Update 7.8: Regression regarding gnome and lid close action on notebooks?

Hi all,

I'm not really sure if my assumptions are true, because checking the
updated package lists in the recently announced didn't reveal any gnome
packages.

However, a friend of mine is encoutering the following problem since
some days; I think, it started after I installed the updates get the
system to 7.8.

She's using gnome with fallback-session. Normally, if she closed the
lid of her notebook, the system was going to suspend, after reopening
the lid the system would come back.

Now the following occurs: After closing the lid it seems, that the
system shuts down or is going into hibernate, because after opening the
lid again the notebook does what seems a cold boot, starting grub etc.
Hibernate can't work, because the disk is fully encrypted, only /boot is
available on a plain partition.

In gnome-tweak-tool the action for closing the lid is set to "Suspend".

Any idea what's going wrong here?
Any idea how to debug this further or whom to ask?

Thanks for your work and all the best,
Georg Faerber