Re: Java 9 dropping support for source/target level 1.5

On 15/07/2014 23:55, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Am 15.07.2014 23:08, schrieb Emmanuel Bourg:
>> This was expected but now it's effective, Java 9 no longer supports
>> source/target level 1.5:
>>
>> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk9-dev/2014-July/000972.html
>>
>> So if you update a package and see these settings please bump them to 1.6.
>>
>> It might be interesting to add a Lintian warning when a jar with the
>> class format <= 49 is detected, that would mean the package was compiled
>> with a target <= 1.5 and will probably fail to build with Java 9.
> No. Don't do it. This is complete bullshit for Debian at this point.  We are
> trying to prepare a release, working on a possible update to Java 8, and we
> don't have the resources to work on Java 9 at this time.
>
> You seem to have your own agenda, but it doesn't seem to match Debian's agenda.

I think that is unfair statement against Emmanuel (especially when
adding d-d & d-r to the cc list).

I sponsored a lot of packages for Emmanuel. He has been doing an
impressive work
in the Java team [1]. He has been doing most of the maintenance work in
the team over the past year and
Debian would be a better (technical) place if we had 10 clones of Emmanuel.

OpenJDK being a key package in the Java world, it is only fair for him
(to try) to be involved in its packaging
and to make sure we are as good and fast as some other distros. I think
that is his agenda.
If he is willing to work on the packaging of 9, so be it. AFAIK, he is a
volunteer and it was never on the table
to perform this work for Jessie.

By the way, I think you should relax about Emmanuel. He just has been
trying to help you with OpenJDK 8 packaging
when it was stuck.
Even if you disagree with his initial approach, he wasn't trying to
undermine your work on this package.
And please, stop using his ""ecj mistake"" to blame him. That is unfair
compared to all the work he has done.

Cheers,
Sylvestre
[1] https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=ebourg@apache.org
Btw, I wish we had to way to list all of his contributions.