Re: Testing promotion of libunwind

On Sat, 2014-02-01 at 08:01 +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:
> On 2014-02-01 02:36, Daigo Moriwaki wrote:
> > Hi team,
> >

> Hi,
>
> > Looking at buildd status, my 'libunwind' package has been "Installed"
> > successfully on all the architecture that the package is expected to be
> > built on. However, it has never entered testing. "Check why" [1] says that
> > libunwind7 and libunwind7-dev blocks. But they are deprecated since the
> > package now produces libunwind8. Could you please dismiss libunwind7 and
> > proceed the package into testing?
> >

> Until yesterday, it was not possible for us to move forward with the
> libunwind transition.  We have been forced to ask maintainers of reverse
> dependencies to keep using libunwind7-dev to ensure their packages could
> migrate to testing.  Therefore, there are still some uses of
> libunwind7{,-dev} that we need to clean up before libunwind can migrate.
>   To my knowledge that includes at least:
>
> """
> gcc-3.3: libunwind7-dev (>= 0.98.5-1)

There is no such dependency in the version in testing.

> gcc-4.4: libunwind7-dev (>= 0.98.5-6)
> gcc-4.6: libunwind7-dev (>= 0.98.5-6)
> gcc-4.7: libunwind7-dev (>= 0.98.5-6)
> gcc-4.8: libunwind7-dev (>= 0.98.5-6)
> gcc-snapshot: libunwind7-dev (>= 0.98.5-6)
> gcj-4.6: libunwind7-dev (>= 0.98.5-6)
> gdb: libunwind7-dev
> gdb-msp430: libunwind7-dev
> gnat-4.4: libunwind7-dev (>= 0.98.5-6)
> gnat-4.6: libunwind7-dev (>= 0.98.5-6)
> gnat-4.8: libunwind7-dev (>= 0.98.5-6)

These build-depend on libunwind7-dev only on ia64.

> julia: libunwind7-dev

Has already been updated.

> linux-tools: libunwind7-dev
> """
>
> I have CC'ed the relevant maintainers,so they can fix their packages.
[...]

If my understanding is right, the transition can be completed quickly
once linux-tools is updated.  Please confirm whether this is the case.

Otherwise, as upstream support for Linux 3.12 will end soon, I would
prefer to get 3.13 into testing before making a change which could
result in linux-tools waiting a long time.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to write an incorrect program than to understand a correct one.