Re: [debian-mysql] MySQL in Jessie

Just wanted to chime in that Percona stands behind our software and will maintain it for the life of Jessie.

Best,
Matt Griffin
Director of Product Management
Percona

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 12:00 PM, James Page <james.page@ubuntu.com> wrote:

On 01/10/14 16:01, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
>>> If the release team is OK with this, we'll go ahead and upload
>>> mysql-5.6 to unstable and raise bugs for the three impacted
>>> packages. Please can you confirm.
> I think it's rather late for such an upload, especially when it
> involves an ABI break. I asked other RT members and the answer I
> got also was that it was too late for this.
>
> So I'd say we stay at 5.5 for Jessie.

OK; upstream support lifetimes are OK for this so should be ok.

>>> Robie and I are also working with Percona on PXC 5.6 (and PS
>>> 5.6); that might not land in time so percona-xtradb-cluster-5.5
>>> might have to skip this release as I want to have a base
>>> compatibility of 5.6 for this Debian release.
> I'm not sure what you mean here.
>
> Also, I haven't seen an answer as to which MySQL fork we want for
> Jessie. We can't have all 3 (or 4?) of them.

we really have two 'forks' right now:

        mysql-5.5 (default mysql - provides libmysqlclient-dev which the rest
of the archive builds against)
        mariadb-5.5

and one derivative:

        percona-xtradb-cluster-5.5

which is percona-server-5.5 (not in Debian) built with galera
replication extensions - its mysql compatible but quite distinct
product from mysql-5.5 or mariadb-5.5.

I would maintain that mysql-5.5 has to stay in release this late in
cycle, switching to mariadb-5.5 would mean a full transition, and that
percona-xtradb-cluster-5.5 is a sufficiently distinct product to
remain in for release as well.

So that really just leaves mariadb-5.5 (or mariadb-10 - I know Otto
has been busy working on this) up for debate;  my take is still that
if there is sufficient resource maintaining mariadb-5.5 (which I think
there is - thanks to Otto), or any other fork, that it should still be
considered for release.

Thoughts?

Cheers

James