Re: [debian-mysql] MySQL in Jessie

[fixing team@security.d.o CC]

On 2014-08-26 10:05, Bjoern Boschman wrote:
there are already several patches prepared to start mysql-5.6
transition for sid [0].

It's rather late for that - as per https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/12/msg00008.html , the deadline for accepting new transitions is now less than two weeks away.

[...]
We, generally speaking of pkg-mysql, would favour shipping different
mysql-forks starting of jessie. This would include oracle-mysql,
mariadb, percona-xtradb-cluster, percona-xtradb-cluster-galera.

In general, we (the release team at least, and I believe the security team; please confirm) would prefer _fewer_ forks, not more - particularly when at least some of those forks aren't in testing yet (possibly not even in unstable).

Therefor my fellow collegues have introduced virtual-mysql packages [1].

Hopefully this helps?

Unfortunately, it's actively _un_helpful. The virtual packages lie about what they provide, which makes builds fail when the mariadb packages are installed; see https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=759309 for an example.

This makes the buildd maintainers and, by extension, the release team, unhappy.

Regards,

Adam