Re: Stellarium 0.12.2-1 or 0.11.3-2 in the next point release

On 07/08/13 14:48, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On 2013-08-07 14:26, Tomasz Buchert wrote:
> >On 07/08/13 14:58, Tomasz Buchert wrote:
> >>I'm maintainer of stellarium [1]. Recently I had a bug
> >>opened by one of DebianEdu [2] (focus on the end of the thread)
> >>which would require releasing stellarium in a point release.
> [...]
> >>  1) patch version 0.11.3-1 (now in stable)
> >>     and release it as 0.11.3-2
> >>
> >>  2) release 0.12.2-1 in stable
> [...]
> >[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/stellarium.html
> >[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=709303
>
> One of the goals of updating packages in stable is to do so via
> minimal changes which fix the issue being addressed, which would be
> your "1".
>
> However, looking at the bug log, I noticed that it's not resolved in
> unstable yet. Is there an ETA for that? In general, bugs should be
> fixed in unstable first, as this allows any (well, most) issues with
> the patch to be noticed and fixed more quickly and reduces the risk
> of the bug being reintroduced in a later release.
>
> Regards,
>
> Adam

Hi Adam,

long story short: the bug is about stellarium segfaulting while using
it over VNC. This *is* fixed in unstable (stellarium will not crash,
but kindly refuse to start instead). Therefore, according to the bug title
and a response of the original bug submitter [1], it can be closed.

In the thread, we diverged a bit from that bug, by considering
how stellarium could be launched over VNC. Apparently it cannot for
technical reasons related to X11 and VNC. In any case, this wishlist/bug
(running 3D apps over VNC) belongs to another package (xrdp in this case).
I hope it clarifies the situation a bit.

I will prepare 0.11.3-2 in the next few days.

Tomasz