Proposed addition to RC policy (release upgrades)

Hi,

As I've seen it come up a few times recently, I'm proposing adding some
explicit RC requirements relating to upgrades between releases. I don't
think there's anything particularly controversial about this, as it's
basically documenting long-standing practice.

A first cut at some wording is below. It fits in the current
"dependencies" section, but as alternatives we could add a new top-level
section or a subsection under the catch-all "general" heading.

Comments welcome.

/==========================================================
| Index: www/jessie/rc_policy.txt
| ===================================================================
| --- www/jessie/rc_policy.txt	(revision 418)
| +++ www/jessie/rc_policy.txt	(working copy)
| @@ -62,6 +62,12 @@
|  	marked "Essential: yes". Packages must include a "Pre-Depends:"
|  	line listing any packages required by their preinst.
|
| +        Packages must upgrade cleanly from the version in the previous stable
| +        release (if any). In order to support partial upgrades, versioned
| +        dependencies must be used if the version in the previous release is
| +        not sufficient for the new package version to be functional. Upgrades
| +        skipping a stable release are not required to be supported.
| +
|  	If two packages cannot be installed together, one must list the other
|  	in its "Conflicts:" field.

Regards,

Adam