Re: Call for Jessie Release Goals

Hi Brian,

On 2013-09-11 21:53, Brian Gupta wrote:
I am considering putting forth a proposal to make MariaDB the default
mysql binary provider for Jesse. However there are a number of
unresolved issues, that might prevent consensus at this time:

A release goal should be broadly consensual, that is (mostly) un-controversial. I think it unlikely that we can assume consensus on this issue right now.

My question is, if this isn't submitted as a release goal for Jesse by
Sept 30th, will there be an opportunity prior to Jesse's release to
reconsider making this change?

Release goals aren't exclusive. If the maintainers of the involved packages want it to happen, it can happen any time up until we freeze in the normal way. My feeling is that this is too narrow to be suitable for a release goal, but you are welcome to propose it nevertheless.

Successful goals in the past have included multi-arch, a piuparts-clean archive, and large file support. These are general aims that span a wide range of packages and improve overall distribution quality. Narrow goals that affect a small number of packages or are really transitions in other clothing are generally not suitable, because they can be achieved through normal discussion and negotiation between maintainers.

In this specific case I suggest the best course of action is to raise the question on debian-devel and seek a consensus about the long-term futures of MySQL and MariaDB. I'm sure the security team will have an opinion about the former, for example.

P.S. - This is likely further complicated by the fact that Debian is
by and large a Postgresql "shop".

I'm not sure that's true, but it's also a question that really belongs elsewhere.

Hope that helps.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw@debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51

< bootc> I once used aptitude on RedHat. It was surprisingly usable,
         between crashes.