Re: Call for Jessie Release Goals

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Jonathan Wiltshire <jmw@debian.org> wrote:
> The Release Team calls for the submission of release goals for the Jessie
> cycle.
>
> Release goals are areas of functionality which developers would like to see
> as an aim for the next release. They will not hold up the release, but
> allow the bugs opened for that goal to be of severity 'important'.
>
> Goals which were accepted for the Wheezy cycle, but did not reach
> completion, can be carried over for Jessie. However, we require
> re-submission of those goals (and any that have been discussed up until now
> - we are starting with a clean slate) to ensure that they are still
> realistic and have active developers working on them. We will in principle
> accept carried-over goals which still meet the basic criteria.
>
> As a reminder, release goals require at least one advocate, should affect
> more than one set of packages (i.e. not just a transition), and should be
> generally consensual. The advocate(s) should take responsibility for
> tracking the goal status and ensuring it is completed in a timely manner.
> Goals should be "specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely".
>
> To propose a goal, you should create a page on the wiki [WIKI] with a short
> goal description, details of the advocate(s) and how the goal will be
> achieved. The multi-arch goal [MA-GOAL] from Wheezy is a good example. You
> should submit a copy of this information to the mailing list [ML] with a
> suitable subject line (we suggest "Proposed release goal: ${shortdesc}").
>
> The deadline for goal submission is midnight on 30th September 2013. There
> will be a short period after this date for objections. Assuming all is
> well, we will accept reasonable goals and ask advocates to choose a BTS
> usertag for tracking their goal.
>
> [WIKI] https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals
> [MA-GOAL] https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/MultiArch
> [ML] debian-release@lists.debian.org

Jonathan,

I am considering putting forth a proposal to make MariaDB the default
mysql binary provider for Jesse. However there are a number of
unresolved issues, that might prevent consensus at this time:

1) Whether of not we should support installing both maridb and mysql
on the same system at the same time. (I believe the typical use case
would call for one or the other but not both, and making them
alternatives would address most users' needs, but the project has not
reached this consensus.)

2) No developers have picked up the existing MariaDB packages that are
awaiting review. (No MariaDB in unstable yet)

3) There is an open question if allowing the same binary names is
allowed. (Other distros are using the same binary names, and the
packages that the MariaDB foundation ships use "mysql" in the binary
names).

4) There is an open question as to whether or not we can easily
support a generic "mysql" service dependency for packages that current
depend on mysql.

An additional complication, is that I am personally not skilled in
packaging, and am a "non-uploading" DD, so I'm not sure if it would be
appropriate for me to advocate such a change, especially considering I
am not in a position to help implement the change.

My feeling that as time passes, and with more and more distros make
the decision to replace mysql with mariadb as the default provider of
mysql binaries, (Fedora, RHEL, OpenSuSE, Arch Linux so far) it will
become clear that doing this is the correct path. I do believe this
will happen, and it will become clear that MariaDB, is the "winning
fork" well before Jesse ships. (The formation of the MariaDB
foundation added to my confidence that this is the highly likely
outcome.)

My question is, if this isn't submitted as a release goal for Jesse by
Sept 30th, will there be an opportunity prior to Jesse's release to
reconsider making this change?

Any guidance, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

P.S. - This is likely further complicated by the fact that Debian is
by and large a Postgresql "shop".