Re: DSA concerns for jessie architectures (mips*)

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 02:11:19PM -0700, David Daney wrote:
> On 06/24/2013 07:36 AM, Aron Xu wrote:

> >>It would be wonderful to refresh our mips environment as our current mips
> >>environment is not healthy.  We gladly accept hardware donations but would
> >>appreciate if the donated hardware be equivalent to that available
> >>commercially.  Of the four existing donated boxen that we operate at ubcece,
> >>one has never worked (fatally defective) and two are very unreliable.  We also
> >>had to modify them to boot on power-up.
> >>
> >>Do the Cavium machines have any remote management features (similar to Sun
> >>ALOM, HP iLO, Dell DRAC) that allow access to a serial console and to power
> >>management?  Alternatively, can they be configured to power on after a power
> >>loss so we can attach them to a remotely controlled power distribution unit?
> >>Do they boot from local storage?
> >>
> >>Any help you can provide in securing newer mips equipment is appreciated.  We
> >>MUST refresh our mips environment if we wish to continue offering a mips port.
> >>
> >>As mentioned, we will need a number of machines to satisfy the various
> >>requirements (geographically distributed buildd machines, accessible porter
> >>machine(s), etc.).

> >>Why were the GSoC students unable to obtain access to the hardware?
> >>

> >David once said he has prepared the machine, but we haven't got
> >response from him when asking for shell access.
>
> The good news:
>
> Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 ebh5600-dd ttyS0
>
> ebh5600-dd login: root
> Password:
> Last login: Tue Jun  4 11:25:39 PDT 2013 on ttyS0
> Linux ebh5600-dd 3.9.4 #18 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 4 11:18:44 PDT 2013 mips64
>
> The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
> the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
> individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.
>
> Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
> permitted by applicable law.
> root@ebh5600-dd:~# uptime
>  15:11:53 up 20 days,  3:45,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
> root@ebh5600-dd:~# df -h
> /dev/sda1             910G   26G  838G   3% /
> tmpfs                 2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /lib/init/rw
> udev                   10M   24K   10M   1% /dev
> tmpfs                 2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev/shm
>

> The slightly less good news:  I am leaving on vacation until July
> 13, so I cannot get the thing on a public network until I get back.

That's great!  Happy to continue the conversation regarding these machines when
you return.  Have a good vacation.

> Also I don't recall any requests for shell access after the initial
> discussions about the system

Ah!  Seems like some miscommunication or misunderstanding.  Thanks for correcting the record.

Let's chat when you get back,

Luca

--
Luca Filipozzi