Re: Possible release note for systems running PHP through CGI.

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Aug 19, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> >  - PHP scripts can be executed by Apache httpd through libapache2-mod-php5 or
> >    php5-cgi.  Debian recommends libapache2-mod-php5, but there are still
> This is another issue which concerns me, since mod_php forces the use of
> preforking apache, which means that the server will either stop serving
> pages or OOM at the first hint of real traffic.
> (And obviously mod_php is wildly insecure for multitenants servers.)

You need php-cgi with something like fcgid to have it properly isolate
several web applications and still be somewhat scalable.  mod-php is
just a toy in its current state, good enough to run stuff at home as
long as it is restricted to localhost...

> >    thousands of installations wich report the use of php5-cgi according to the
> >    Popularity Contest statistics.
> Yes, because sensible people who need PHP will try to use it as
> CGI/FastCGI (or FPM, finally in wheezy).

Indeed.

> I am also concerned that a *simple* solution to restore the old
> behaviour in a secure way is not provided: maybe php5-cgi should install
> a sensible default configuration in /etc/apache2/conf.d/ ?

That, and leave mime.types alone.  If the problem is caused by mod-php
under apache, any "simple solution" should be biased towards breaking
mod-php under apache, not everything else.  A good solution would not
break anything.

  Henrique Holschuh