Possible release note for systems running PHP through CGI.

Dear release team and developer community,

due to changes in the mime-support package, upgrade of systems serving PHP
websites through CGI will not be automatic.  There is
http://bugs.debian.org/674089 (critical) where the issue is discussed, and I
would like to reassign it to the release notes.  Please let me know your
thoughts about this.

In summary:

 - PHP scripts can be executed by Apache httpd through libapache2-mod-php5 or
   php5-cgi.  Debian recommends libapache2-mod-php5, but there are still
   thousands of installations wich report the use of php5-cgi according to the
   Popularity Contest statistics.

 - In Squeeze, using default configurations, files with ".php" in their name
   such as "foo.php.jpeg" are executed as PHP scripts by the Apache web servers
   runing PHP scripts through php5-cgi.

 - To solve that problem, the media (MIME) type for PHP has been removed from
   /etc/mime.types (http://bugs.debian.org/589384).

 - This breaks the websites executing PHP scripts through php5-cgi, and
   a solution is being be documented in the php5 package's NEWS file.
   http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-php/php.git;a=commitdiff;h=f7a6351c620075a9d2a551fbed38ea26919f0d94

This will interrupt upgrade of servers using php5-cgi, but to avoid surprises,
the rough consensus in #674089 is also to document the same information in the
release notes.

Therefore, I am probably going to reassign #674089 to the release-notes pseudo
package, unless a consensus emerges that this is not the proper solution.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan