Re: BinNMU changelog handling for Multi-Arch: same packages

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> > 1/ we modify dh_installchangelog to strip the binary-only changelog entry
> >    for Multi-Arch: same packages
>
> Wouldn't (1) be throwing away information, unless the stripped
> information goes into another file?
>
> Making the stripped info go into another file sounds fine to me.

Yes, that's another possibility but this changelog entry is not so
important that it has to be in the .deb file IMO. The information
is already in the .changes file, and thus in the corresponding build
logs.

Both approaches are fine for me (i.e. throwing the entry away or
diverting it to another file).

> A crazier possibility is teaching the unpack procedure to treat
> /usr/share/doc/<package>/changelog.Debian.gz specially, collecting the
> binary-only changelog entries and merging them in a single file, but
> that's a pretty severe layering violation and it would not be easy to
> find which entries are no longer relevant when shrinking the set of
> installed arches for a package.

Indeed, that's a no-no, way too crazy.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/