Re: The future (or non-future) of ia32-libs

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 09:32:15PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 06/22/2012 05:34 PM, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Step 1: upgrade/dist-upgrade with ia32-libs (wine, ...) held back
> > Step 2: dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt-get update
> > Step 3: dist-upgrade (ia32-libs, wine, ... is now installable)
> >
> May I suggest that upon upgrade, we have a debconf message telling
> about it? We could add this in base-files or any essential package,
> probably one with some debconf messages already in would be a better
> pick. Instructions would show, IF ia32-libs old version is currently
> installed
> AND the --add-architecture i386 hasn't bee done.
>
> I know we have release notes, but some don't know about them or would
> simply not read them. A debconf message seem really appropriate IMO.

Could we not introduce the concept of an "upgrade script" into
apt-get which could be downloaded when you run "apt-get update" and
then run during a dist-upgrade?  This could handle automation of
any "housekeeping" during the upgrade which would otherwise require
manual work detailed in the release notes.

For example, if the ia32-libs package is installed, this could
automatically update dpkg and apt-get, then automatically add the
architecture and update prior to continuing with the upgrade.  It
could also handle any additional work which needs doing before and
after the upgrade of the whole distribution, or any particular
package.  i.e. handling any work which the package maintainer
scripts can't safely or sensibly handle.

Doesn't the Ubuntu updater tool do something like this already when
it does a full upgrade between releases?

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh