Re: haskell transition: qiime makes qiime uninstallable?

On Wed, 2012-06-06 at 23:54 +0100, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> >     * trying to update qiime from 1.4.0-2 to 1.5.0-1 (candidate is 15 days old)
> >     * Updating qiime makes 1 non-depending packages uninstallable on kfreebsd-amd64: qiime
>
> But no mention of any other arch.
[...]
> > trying: qiime
> > skipped: qiime (4 <- 501)
> >     got: 34+0: i-11:a-4:a-4:i-5:k-10
> >     * kfreebsd-amd64: qiime
>
> I understand the package is uninstallable because of a dependency on
> king -> libjogl-java (uncompiled on kfreebsd-* with gcj), but the same
> would be true on kfreebsd-i386 as well so that doesn't explain the above.

britney short-circuits the architecture loop as soon as an
installability problem is detected on one architecture, presumably on
the grounds that we know the package can't migrate so there's no point
checking further.

It's something we've discussed changing every so often and that might be
more feasible now that britney runs are typically in the order of a few
minutes rather than a few hours.  It could do with some benchmarking
first though, given that a problem with e.g. eglibc would then involve
checking all of the reverse-dependencies on 13 architectures even though
we know that one of them is uninstallable on i386 (which is currently
the first architecture britney checks).

Regards,

Adam