Re: binNMUing on some architectures breaks Multi-arch: same

On 13.04.2012 08:58, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
"Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> writes:

On 11.04.2012 10:30, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
The current state is that M-A: same packages must have the same
version
and identical Changelog files across all architectures. That means
binNMU on all architectures or a sourcefull upload.

A source upload isn't "just a rebuild" in Debian.  It's an NMU and
requires building and testing the package with at least as much care
as any other NMU would.  It doesn't scale, it's a waste of resources
and I'm not convinced that it's something that it's appropriate for
the Release Team to be doing on a regular basis.

Nonesense.

Please take the ad hominen somewhere else. The fact that you disagree with my opinion doesn't make it invalid.

You aren't building and testing binNMUs and uploading a source with a
changelog entry of "just a rebuild because of XYZ" is essentially no
different than a binNMU for all architectures. Obviously you would only
do that instead of a binNMU when the package isn't binNMUable.

"Nonsense".

It's quite different in terms of the necessary investment in time and technical resources for whoever's performing the source upload. It's also arguably different from a social perspective.

However, I've already said all of this, in another mail in this thread, sent after the one you've replied to but well before your reply. I'm not going to continue re-hashing the same discussion in different subthreads.

Regards,

Adam