Re: binNMUing on some architectures breaks Multi-arch: same

"Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> writes:

> On 11.04.2012 10:30, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> The current state is that M-A: same packages must have the same
>> version
>> and identical Changelog files across all architectures. That means
>> binNMU on all architectures or a sourcefull upload.
>
> A source upload isn't "just a rebuild" in Debian.  It's an NMU and
> requires building and testing the package with at least as much care
> as any other NMU would.  It doesn't scale, it's a waste of resources
> and I'm not convinced that it's something that it's appropriate for
> the Release Team to be doing on a regular basis.

Nonesense.

You aren't building and testing binNMUs and uploading a source with a
changelog entry of "just a rebuild because of XYZ" is essentially no
different than a binNMU for all architectures. Obviously you would only
do that instead of a binNMU when the package isn't binNMUable.

>> That certainly isn't the solution but just the state of things. And
>> fixing the tools to ensure M-A: same packages are binNMUed for all
>> architectures makes sense for the time being.
>
> Please go and read
> <[🔎] 1333794699.24386.91.camel@jacala.jungle.funky-badger.org>, where I've
> already explained that "fixing the tools" doesn't work.

"Fixing the tools" can be as crude as checking the archive for binNMUed
M-A: same packages that have version skews and cross-checking with
wanna-build that binNMUs haven been scheduled for all architectures and
logging the result.

The waste in resources for rebuilds on architecturs that didn't need
them is unfortunate but at the moment unavoidable without breaking
multiarch.

> Regards,
>
> Adam

MfG