Re: taxbird: Version for 2011 available upstream

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 01:40:23PM -0600, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Philipp Kern wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 12:38:09PM -0600, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> >> Would it be feasible to address this somehow in stable?  Please
> >> forgive my ignorance.
> > I presume that we're talking not only about taxbird but also libgeier?
> Yes, I believe so.

I guess I wouldn't mind updates merely dropping new .xsd/.xsl and .scm into the
appropriate paths.  Indeed taxbird isn't very useful to have in a stable
release in its current form unless it's updated once or twice per year.
Fortunately libgeier doesn't seem to have any rdeps other than taxbird and
didn't have serious C modifications at all.

I didn't review taxbird yet, though.  I wonder why those two are separate
packages, though, and why you need to touch both instead of placing the
knowledge into one, but I guess that's a design issue that we can't solve.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'd like to see the debdiff (also of the
binary result, built on stable).  At least for libgeier it probably doesn't
make sense to backport specific changes AFAICS.  There are OpenSSL
compatibility fixes we don't need, but they're ifdef'ed.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern
--
 .''`.  Philipp Kern                        Debian Developer
: :' :  http://philkern.de                         Stable Release Manager