Re: Changes to Debian Installer release process

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 22:12, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting Otavio Salvador (otavio@ossystems.com.br):
>> Mostly; the only addition situation we'll need to rebuild the
>> installer is when the amount of translation changes for a specific
>> language so we get the 'translation-status' file updated into the
>> initrd.
> We might need to find a way to avoid rebuilding just because *one*
> language changed. Mostly because this happens really often..we don't
> really have control about the translator's schedule and they happen to
> commit things more or less randomly (with peaks when something is
> changed in a string, or when strings are added: some like to be 100%
> all time long..:-)).

But this will change only when we upload the package to the archive so
we can try to upload a set of packages with translation updates to
avoid this. Basically the binNMU would be triggered when the
translation status change for a language and since we work with
percentage this will not change on every translation update.

> As I'm watching all this very regularly, we could maybe imagine
> something where the i18n coordinator can trigger an l10n-rebuild
> because (s)he notices that a given language changed significantly
> enough to be worth it....or because it has been too much time since
> the last rebuild and many very small changes piled up.

Or maybe if there's no initrd changes queue it to the end of week if
nothing else changes?

Otavio Salvador                             O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio@ossystems.com.br  http://www.ossystems.com.br
Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854              http://projetos.ossystems.com.br