Re: Suggested release goal: /run

Am 01.04.2011 15:33, schrieb Stéphane Glondu:
> Le 30/03/2011 17:24, Tollef Fog Heen a écrit :
>> (Please keep me in Cc, I'm not subscribed)
>> [...]
>> - /run should exist as a tmpfs
>> - /var/run should be a symlink or bind mount of/to /run
>> - /var/lock should be a symlink/bind mount to /run/lock
>> - /lib/init/rw should be a symlink/bind mount to /run
>> - applications are free to use /run as they have previously used
>>    /var/run.  Applications using /lib/init/rw and /dev/shm are to be
>>    changed to use /run.
>
> Is there some generic location planned for (non priviledged) users?
> Currently, /tmp is used for that, but since we are talking about making
> clean stuff...

Yes. See the discussion/documentation around XDG_RUNTIME_DIR [1]. If you are
using systemd/pam_systemd this already works today.

The directory /run/user/<username> will be created on login via the pam module,
be 700, and the XDG_RUNTIME_DIR variable will be exported in your environment
pointing to that directory.

I think pam_systemd should be usable on a non-systemd system too (untested).

HTH,
Michael

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

universe are pointed away from Earth?