Re: sh4 architecture into Wheezy

On 11-03-30 09:17 AM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 02:05:52PM +0900, Nobuhiro Iwamatsu wrote:
Dear release team.

We(sh4 porting team) are now trying to run Debian on Renesas SH(sh4) CPU.
  http://buildd.debian-ports.org/status/architecture.php?suite=unstable&a=sh4

We want to support sh4 by the next release (Wheezy).

- Buildd status
  Currentry, we are finished with build with packages of about 90%.
  http://buildd.debian-ports.org/stats/sh4.txt
  http://buildd.debian-ports.org/status/architecture.php?suite=unstable&a=sh4&priority=

- ArchiveQualification of sh4
  http://wiki.debian.org/ArchiveQualification/sh4

How do you think about including sh4 in the next release?

If I have say "go ahead!", we will start work with DSA, buildd
team, security team and ftp-master team.
Hi Nobuhiro,

A few questions:

You say "there is many user waiting for port to Debian" in the wiki
page listed. How many is "many"?
I'd assume anyone working internally at Renesas would use it. I know there are 100s of subscribers to the linuxsh-dev mailing list who are potential users.

What are the future prospects for sh4? It seems that STM are
concentrating on ARM-based cores for future products...

Not sure why STMs activities are relevant? Renesas owns the IP and is moving forward with SH4-based cores.