Re: Would you cosider accepting this update to address bug 615227 in squeeze?

Hi,

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Julien Cristau wrote:

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:57:41 -0800, Jack Bates wrote:

Hi, to address bug 615227 in squeeze, would you consider accepting an
updated package with just these changes?
http://nottheoilrig.com/debian/201103110/patch

 - or do you have any other feedback for me, what is the best thing to
do?

A few things:
- the fix should probably get a bit more exposure in unstable before we
 accept it in stable
- changing the source package format in a stable update is a no-no

The package in squeeze was packaged as a "native" package. I asked on IRC in #debian-release
how to apply the patch in this case. I was told to either apply the patch to the shipped "upstream" tar
archive, or to either change the packaging.

I opted to change the packaging as this would show what has changed since the original tar. I provided
this new packaging to the DD for his convenience.

Would it have more change of being included in a stable point release if the original packaging is
kept and the patch applied to the tar?

- the patch itself looks reasonable enough

Regards,

Rik