Re: Please unblock schroot 1.4.18-1

On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 10:38:09PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-07 at 15:06 +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > Sorry to trouble you again, but I found soon after this release
> > #609108 which was breaking schroot on all kfreebsd platforms.
> > This is actually due to the statfs structure being broken on
> > FreeBSD, limiting the mount and umount commands to paths less
> > than 88 characters (80 in practice).
> >
> > While we can't fix that major design flaw, we can reduce the
> > path length to <80 in most circumstances by not using long UUIDs
> > in session names.
> [...]
> > We also update
> > the 50chrootname setup script to handle non-UUID generated session
> > names.
>
> That's presumably this addition:
>
> 's/-[0-9][0-9]*-[0-9][0-9]*//g'
>
> described in the changelog as:
>
>  * 50chrootname: Strip time+PID from session name in addition to UUID.
>
> Apologies if I'm missing something related to the context, but isn't
> there a danger of that regex being insufficiently specific?

No, you're right.  The non-UUID session names we use for kfreebsd are
made from the time (seconds since epoch) + PID to guarantee uniqueness.
I could require more digits to make it specific.  The PID should always
be at least three digits and the time at least 10 digits, so I can add
the extra [0-9] to the regex to do that.

Note that the stripping is only used for putting a shortened form into
/etc/debian_chroot; this is only really used for things like a
customised prompt in the bash shell, so it has zero impact on schroot's
functioning correctly.  Since it's stripping the unique part off and
leaving the chroot base name, it's not useful for doing anything with
other than informational logging, and inside the chroot you can't do
anything with it in any case.  The full form is always available as
SCHROOT_SESSION_ID in the environment.

Regards,
Roger

--