Patch for leafpad to Fix UTF16 save (Grave; Closes: #606145)

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 16:39:42 +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:
> > tags 606145 + patch
> > kthxbye
> >
> > The problem here is that when writing out the file, we use fputs.  fputs
> > only operates on C strings and stops when it reaches a NUL byte.  Of
> > course, since UTF-16 is a double-byte character set, ASCII characters
> > are encoded with one byte being 0 (NUL).  The easy solution is to use
> > fwrite with the byte count we get from and the attached patch does so.
> >
> Jari, any chance for an upload to fix this in the next few days?
>
> Cheers,
> Julien

>> On 12/26/2010 06:07 AM, Jari Aalto wrote:
>> >     dget http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/debian/leafpad/leafpad_0.8.17-4.dsc
>>
> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 08:34:55 -0800, tony mancill wrote:
>> Hi Jari, Julien, and Brian:
>>
>> I'm around - I have go back to work tomorrow.  I have uploaded 0.8.17-4 to
>> unstable; (...)
>
>  Tony
>
> *sigh*
>
> the changes to debian/rules are very much not ok.
>
> there's an undocumented change to data/leafpad.desktop.
>
> Cheers,
> Julien

> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 10:04:25 -0800, tony mancill wrote:
>
>> Very much not okay in what regard?  If you're asking for an absolute minimal
>> changeset on behalf other the release team, please make that clear by
>> documenting it somewhere, preferably in the bug report.  Otherwise, there's
>> nothing in the thread [1] that indicates this is targeted for squeeze.
>>
> Yes there is.  This bug is RC, it affects squeeze.  If you'd bothered
> to read d-d-a (as you're supposed to) you would know that we're in deep
> freeze, and as such any RC bug fixes should be uploaded with minimal
> changes.
>
>> You can debdiff the the -3 and -4 package to verify that the changes to
>> debian/rules don't affect the contents of the resulting binary package.  This is
>> neither a security upload nor an NMU, and according to the PTS page [2] the bug
>> isn't RC either.
>>
> I don't know what makes you think that.  This bug has 'grave' severity,
> and that's even mentioned in your mail's Subject field.  Please wake up.
>
> Cheers,
> Julien

> Hi Jari,
>
> I've just been reviewing your recent upload of leafpad, in order to
> determine whether it was suitable for unblocking for Squeeze.
>
> Firstly, thank you for fixing the outstanding RC bug on the package.
> However, I'm somewhat disappointed that you chose to mix unrelated and
> unneeded changes in as part of the upload, specifically this change:
>
> +  * debian/rules
> +    - Simplify targets for dh(1).
>
> Leaving aside for one moment the appropriateness of making such a change
> in deep freeze, I do wonder how this change was intended to work:
>
> +override_dh_auto_instakk:

> [...]

SUMMARY

- Julien asked a speed fix. No further explantions given.
- I send what I had in progress in my repository + the grave fix
- Tony uploaded
- Julien complained about the upload, with unneccessary chit-chat.
- Tony asked what exactly was the problem.
- Not very constructive comments from Julien.
- Elsewhere Adam was forced to do double work.

To the release team Lead:

I'd like to express my dissatisfaction of how Julien approached the issue.
The proper directions to talk to the developers would need to be improved.
Something along the line:

    "Hi, there is a grave bug and we'd need a targetted fix that would
    only touch that bug. Please let us know when the upload is there
    and notify the release team with an RFE (Request for an exception)"

Now I, Tony, and Adam had to do extra work to engage in a "fix" discussion
just because important things were left untold.

I'm going to prepare yet another upload, but I'm not exactly thrilled.

Jari