Re: Pre-approval for gupnp-packages.

Hi Phillip Kern!

On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 10:25:35AM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> (I did review the git branches debian-experimental against the current unstable
> version, which is the same as testing in all cases.)

(Thats correct, no uploads to unstable since the freeze.
I actually went ahead and uploaded to experimental, so reviewing
either git or experimental is fine.)

> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 07:18:27PM +0200, Andreas Henriksson wrote:
> > * gssdp:
> >
> > http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/gssdp.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/debian-experimental
> >
> > http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/gssdp.git;a=blob;f=NEWS;h=d222e10b7866db849ff41108c38c7cc87ae332c1;hb=refs/heads/upstream-experimental
>
> This is ok, as gssdp-socket-source.h isn't installed.

Thanks!

> > * gupnp:
> >
> > http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/gupnp.git;a=blob;f=NEWS;h=cb4e6291147df8f873934576db4cfb45e27e68ea;hb=refs/heads/upstream-experimental
> >
> > http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/gupnp-av.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/debian-experimental
>
> As there were no symbols files for the old one in unstable: are you sure there
> are no disappearing symbols?  (Maybe gupnp_context_manager_finalize...)  If

Upstream seems to have a very good clue when it comes to ABI.
c.f. gupnp-av and the introduction of the _size64 function rather then fixing
(and breaking ABI of) the _size function, for large file support on
32bit arches. That was done intentionally to avoid ABI breakage.

gupnp_context_manager_finalize was static, so it shouldn't affect the ABI.

(The good upstream ABI clue might be related to our fellow DD, Ross Burton,
is (part of) upstream. :))

> people could stop reindent files, that would be helpful, too.  gvalue-util.c
> doesn't make me happy.  Using strtoul instead of atoi... why?[1]

While the page you refer to points out some flaws with strtoul, atoi really
isn't any better. It's probably of questional "bug fix" value though, just
like the reindentation...

> The other changes look fine.

Thanks!

> > * gupnp-av:
> >
> > http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/gupnp-av.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/debian-experimental
> >
> > http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/gupnp-av.git;a=blob;f=NEWS;h=966e33beb5a3102a54dc06d1f11f6f6efff0d9c3;hb=refs/heads/upstream-experimental
>
> Looks ok.

Thanks!

> > * gupnp-dlna (no change from last request, but here are the links anyway):
> >
> > http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/gupnp-dlna.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/debian-experimental
> >
> > http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/gupnp-dlna.git;a=blob;f=NEWS;h=9ba258e13be8457eedef6bc1d1516f1b514a13e8;hb=refs/heads/upstream-experimental
>
> There isn't a GNU Lesser General Public License version 2, right?  That
> replacement seems to be made of fail.  Didn't review more, sorry.

The license change (which probably is just a clarification of the original
intent) is one of the reasons why I'd like to avoid shipping the old version.

As for if a 2.0 version exists, most people still don't seem to tell
Library or Lesser GPL apart, so my interpretation would be:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.0.html

I don't want you to waste time on reviewing this package. I think it's
completely harmless to update it since it has no reverse dependencies
in debian. If you're still not convinced, I might go ask for a removal
instead of supporting the 0.2 version of gupnp-dlna through the squeeze
lifetime. Newer versions is already a requirement of known users anyway.

> Kind regards,
> Philipp Kern
>
> [1] http://synflood.at/blog/index.php?/archives/741-strtoul-considered-harmful.html

I'll go ahead and upload everything to unstable now (and get back to you
for the unblocks when ready).

If you come to the conclusion after a full gupnp-dlna review that it's
unsuitable, I'll go for a removal from squeeze for gupnp-dlna.

Thanks again for reviewing!

--
Andreas Henriksson